As ore started rolling out of mines in Park City in 1869, the Union Pacific railroad was completing its section of the transcontinental railroad in northern Utah. The Union Pacific seized the opportunity to build a spur line to Park City in 1880, which was used to remove ore and supply coal to fuel the Park City mining operations.
The building that Zoom now occupies was once the Union Pacific railroad depot. The depot contained freight, ticket offices, passenger baggage, wait rooms, and quarters for the station masters which were located on the second floor. The main dining room still houses one of the scales used for weighing freight. When work was completed in October of 1886 the Park Record Newspaper applauded the results by asserting, “The building is one of the finest in Park City, the design is modern tasteful and brilliant yellow paint adorns it on all sides.”
The Depot ceased functioning as a railroad station in 1976-77. The last train ran on the Echo/Park City spur line in 1986. The rail bed remains today as the Union Pacific rail trail.